Sharing Thoughts and Ideas for a Healthier Environment

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Eye Opener: Enviornmental Working Group


The cosmetic item I chose that I use quite frequently is fingernail polish remover.
The remover that I normally buy is Cutex. This product rates a 3 overall (moderate concerns as far as the safety of the product). According to the safety database there are some high hazardous concerns regarding the ingredients of the product. The fragrance that is used in the product rated an 8 because it poses high concerns causing neurotoxicity, allergies and immunotoxicity.   Acetone was another ingredient that rated somewhat high at a 4.  Acetone poses concerns on toxicity of the developmental and reproductive organs as well as irritation to eyes, skin or lungs. It is unknown if animals are being tested with this product (I hope not).
What this means to me is that we are walled by so many poisonous chemicals.  These toxic chemicals are not just in what we eat, but also by what we absorb through the products we use on our bodies.   I believe are lifestyles, for the most part, inhibits us from really paying attention to what we are doing to ourselves.  Most people lives are so fast pace  that  it impedes them from noticing just how much their actions negatively impact oneself.  After reading the health report on this product, it just made me realize that the minutest item can carry such a negative effect on a person as well as the environment. Furthermore, we are so trusting with things that we don’t think to take the time to research and seek out the side effects that certain items may have.  It really makes me think about all the products I use and what other kind of affects they may possibly impose.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chnice!
    I never thought about nail polish remover! Even though I do use that a lot! After looking at this website I really realized that it isn't all about what I eat, but also what I put on my skin and body, a very eye opening website for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!
    I also wouldn't have thought about nail polish remover - did you happen to look into any nail polishes too? I'd be interested to find our their rating!

    Your comment about absorbing the chemicals we put on our bodies: so true, and scary! I know when I use nail polish remover (and I use the same kind as you), I am very generous with it. I was recently learning in anatomy about our skin, and that stuff does soak chemicals in! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that nail polish remover are more potent and have higher toxicity levels. The smell is strong and it tastes even stronger! Not that I taste it on purpose. You know there are times where your finger accidentally goes in your mouth and you just taste the chemical residue from the nail polish even after washing your hands.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog